Grilled squid with olive oil and lemon juice is one of those incredibly simple dishes that captures all the best of Mediterranean cooking.
One bite and you'll be transported to a beach in Portugal, drinking cold vinho verde from the bottle and spearing juicy grilled squid bodies with your fork.
4 squid, cleaned
1 lemon, zest only
good pinch cumin
pinch sea salt
1 garlic clove, pasted
½ handful of fresh coriander, chopped
• Take the prepared squid, make a cut down one side of the body tube and open it.
• Mix the lemon zest, cumin, sea salt, garlic and olive oil and rub into the squid and leave to marinate for a minimum of two hours in the fridge.
• Heat your grill plate until white patches start to appear.
• Remove the squid from the marinade and grill either side for no more than two minutes to ensure that you get those lovely black grill lines across the flesh.
• Push the squid down with the back of a fish slice and do the same with the tentacles.
• Take the squid off the hot grill and serve on a plate with a sprinkling of sea salt, juice of the lemon and sprinkling of fresh chopped coriander. Serve with a mixed green salad.